R&D Plasma Vienna
Octapharma’s Vienna-based R&D Plasma unit focuses on:
- Evaluation and process development of novel target products and technologies
- Life-cycle management (LCM) support through continuous improvements in safety, purity and yield in routine production
- Previous milestone developments include:
- Highly purified plasma-based coagulation factors for treatment of Haemophilia A, Haemophilia B and von Willebrand disease
- Introduction of solvent/detergent (SD) treated plasma including a prion removal step
- A new generation of immunoglobulin for intravenous administration (IVIG).
- Innovations currently under development include:
- Fully pharmaceutically licensed, SD-treated, freeze-dried, non-blood-type-specific plasma in bags
- A new fibrinogen product
- A human growth factor product
With extensive experience in the isolation, purification and characterisation of plasma proteins, the R&D Plasma team additionally provides scientific assistance to Octapharma’s Marketing, Business and Regulatory units and works closely with the Technology Transfer unit. The team also actively participates in internal employee educational programs and collaborates with universities and other external partners.