Located at Lake Mälaren in the west of Stockholm, Sweden, and originally owned by Kabi (later Pharmacia, and then spin-off Biovitrum), the site has been involved in plasma fractionation since the 1940s. The first plasma protein, albumin, was supplied to the market in 1949 followed by gamma globulin in 1950. In the mid-1960s, Kabi was one of the first commercial companies in the world to introduce a Factor VIII concentrate.
Octapharma acquired the plant, which was at that time the Plasma Products Division of Biovitrum, in July 2002. The production facilities were subsequently converted to enable the continuous production of both Biovitrum’s existing plasma products as well as Octapharma’s product range. Ongoing investments of more than € 150 million into the acquisition and adaptation of expanded premises, such as the historic brewery building, as well as installation of state-of-the-art production equipment, have increased the plant’s annual capacity seven-fold from 2002–2012. In 2017, there are more than 800 employees in Stockholm.
In 2003, the pharmaceutical development of Octapharma's recombinant Factor VIII was transferred from basic research at Octapharma Biopharmaceuticals GmbH, Munich, to the Stockholm development and pilot plants.
The plant’s Quality System, which already held an FDA license, has been harmonised with the Octapharma system, making the Stockholm plant a valuable contributor in supplying the US market.
Fractionation/purification; pharmaceutical production; labelling, packaging and storage facilities; Quality Control laboratories; PCR testing; pilot plant and full-scale production plant for recombinant factor VIII; administrative units.
Octapharma OAB (Operations), Octapharma Nordic (Marketing & Sales)